Monday, June 9, 2008

Artic Circle Trip #2

We got back to the RV about 11 p.m. - still broad daylight. During the whole trip my nose ran and my head stayed stuffed up, my eyes felt squeezed and blurry. This was even though I had taken medication the day before and on the trip. I had my own person trash bag.

Our driver, Laura, explained that in some areas of Alaska especially around Fairbanks, people have problems getting good water or getting their land to perk for a septic system so if you're not on city utilities, you dig an outhouse hole. She and her husband are building a new house where they will have to have the water tanker bring them about 15,000 gallons every three months. They spend their weekends digging their outhouse hole. Five inches down they hit permafrost and have to wait as a few more inches thaw, then they will dig that out, wait for another couple inches to thaw, then dig until they get past the permafrost. So all those beautiful homes along the river probably have to use outhouses!