Monday, October 18, 2010

The Rest of the Trip

This is why we love to travel by RV:
You won't see this from a motel or hotel room unless you're in Denali.


Traveling through the rest of Kentucky and then West Virginia, we stopped for the night in Kanawha State Forest campground. Using the GPS, we managed to find it on the first try. The last time we tried to find it, we missed a sign or two (they are small!) and had to back track. Some of the sites are up on top rises and just a little too steep for our 30-foot RV. The host said the federal government had given them a grant to widen the road all the way from the main highway and had even purchased 37 houses so far to tear down in order to straighten out the road some. The campsites are unique as some are pull-throughs, one to a hill; most are like back-in parking spaces beside the creek which is just about dried up due to the drought.
Leaving the next morning, using the GPS again just to see how it would take us to Mt. Crawford, VA, we were told to exit the interstate, go down the road a while, connect to US 33 east, even though the map showed the fastest way to be by I-64 to Lexington, VA, then north on I-81. After we got past Charleston onto I-64, I turned it back on then she said to get off I-64, go down some other route, then re-enter the same interstate! Needless to say, I turned her off!
The trees are changing colors looking beautiful. Because this area has had a very dry summer, the leaves will probably not last long. Quite a few trees have lost all their leaves already so I guess we're lucky to see some color at all.
I had planned to call some friends who live in Alderson, WV, to check on when they would be returning to FL but my cell phone was dead!! No screen at all; wouldn't take a charge, either. After we got to Luray, I remembered the other phone "reset" itself when I removed the battery, cleaned the contacts, and replaced it then punched a couple keys. Bingo! It now works - but too late to call our friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment