Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Roy, Dale, and Trigger

Before going to Branson Landing for some shopping, we went to the Roy Rogers Museum which Dusty Rogers relocated to Branson from Victorville, CA, some years ago. The museum featured continuous showings of the movies Roy made and had thousands of family photos and memorabilia. And, yes, Trigger, Buttermilk, and Bullet are well preserved and on display. So is Nellie Belle and several of Roy's favorite cars. We didn't stay for the show featuring Dusty and his band.
When we got to Branson Landing, I discovered the trolley doesn't stop anywhere in the parking lots. It only stops at each end of the stores and several points in between then makes a loop up Main Street then back to the Landing. At noon I watched the water fountain show and continued on my way to check out the rest of the stores. There was a good variety of stores, yet I was disappointed to find they were mostly high end.
We headed toward Mansfield and the Laura Ingalls Wilder farm where she lived most of her life and started writing the Little House series after she turned 65. The guide told us that she was concerned that daughter, Rose, who successfully wrote fiction, would "borrow" her life events and change them so she decided to write about her life the way it really happened herself. The house, which started as a shed that Almanzo dragged to its current location on a skid, is located up a hill across the street from the parking lot.
My feet hurt the rest of the day and my shin was still sore from ramming into that chair.
We continued back onto I-44 east to St. Louis to get on I-64 east to I-81 north in Virginia to see our relatives in Front Royal and Luray for a couple weeks before returning home